Friday, February 15, 2008

Walking the Walk...



Today in Los Angeles, 10,000 people showed up at a church to say good-bye and pay tribute to a slain police officer - the first S.W.A.T. officer killed in the line of duty - only 51 years old, Officer Randy Simmons leaves a wife and two teenage children. He was shot and died during a police stand-off - taking a bullet for his partner who survived as they entered a home where a 21 year old - distraught for 11 years over the death of his mother - opened fire after killing his own father and two brothers.

Sad as this senseless death is, it would not have been the subject of my writing, had I not been moved by a video shown at his funeral and heard the tributes by his friends and family (the memorial and funeral were carried live for over 3 1/2 hours on all stations here in LA). And like so many others who watched and learned about this extraordinary selfless human being, I was moved to tears.

Many things we learned about this man, we can say about many people we know. He was a loving husband, a wonderful son, an incredible father. He had a deep faith in G-d and carried that faith with him to his job, with his friends and family - his nickname was "The Reverend" - He loved sports - especially football - and shared that love with his friends and his son. They were inseparable - did everything together. No one had anything but good things to say about this man. So just knowing these things about Randy Simmons, we can say he was a good man and it is sad to have him leave this earth so soon.




But there was more - so much more. Although Officer Simmons lived in the lovely community of Rancho Palos Verdes and enjoyed a comfortable life there, he spent much of his off duty time on the streets of Los Angeles reaching out to the disadvantaged youth of this city. He tirelessly lent an ear to kids who had no one to listen to them. He never stopped sharing with them that there is another way out of the life they are surrounded by on a daily basis - the life of gangs, drugs, hopelessness. He called those kids his "babies" and they showed up today wearing t-shirts with Randy's picture and the word HERO on the front.

I am reminded that there is no man so great as one who stoops to help a child. Randy was that man.

I have been thinking lately about being of service - what can I do as an individual to help others? I often discuss this topic with my clients and urge them to find something that they can do to help others - no matter how small, do something.

Some months ago I started doing simple things to change how I live my daily life. I make it a point to hold the door open for the person behind me when I enter the bank or a store. Sounds silly to even mention it. Doesn't everyone hold the door for the person behind them? You'd be surprised at the reaction I get when I not only hold the door for the next person (and sometimes wait for them to walk up to get the door) and then smile at them. The most amazing thing happens when I do this. The person smiles back at me and says thank you. But something else happens. A warm feeling passes through me and I feel like I have made a small connection with another human being. I have respected that person - acknowledged them in such a small way. I often wonder what that person is thinking - if they are - and will they do the same for the next person when they walk through the door? Does it matter? Well, it matters to me - I believe that we can change the world one step at a time - one small step at a time. And one of the things lacking in the world today is a connection to others and a respect for each person as a human being.

I didn't have the privilege of knowing Officer Randy Simmons but in his passing he reached out to me - I saw a man who was never too busy or too selfish to help another person - especially a child. Randy Simmons talked his talk and walked the walk. He has touched me - and I will remember how he chose to live his life. He was a real hero, not a celebrity with a PR hero campaign created in Hollywood. I only wish I could live my life with such a clear purpose and help others along the way. So I challenge each of you reading these words - what small thing can you do to help others? You will make a difference if you reach out.

You will be missed, Randy Simmons, even by those of us who didn't know you.

No comments: